LOS ANGELES, March 30, 2009 – Take two Michelin Star-awarded chefs. Fold in a Bocuse d’Or winner and one French Laundry sous chef. Add a Nobu executive chef. Stir in two James Beard Award-winning wine experts, a couple of Masters of Wine, and blend well with leading mixologists. These are the key ingredients for Crystal Cruises’ worldwide 13th annual Wine & Food Experiences of Discovery, served aboard the ultra-luxurious Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity.
Seven culinary themed itineraries between May and December, 2009 host a marquis selection of the world’s premier chefs, wine experts and mixologists to showcase their creativity and craftsman-ship in cooking demonstrations, hands-on classes, tasting sessions and specially designed menus.
“We are fortunate to have attracted some of the most respected experts in wine and food,” says Toni Neumeister, vice president, food & beverage. “Perhaps due to chefs’ word of mouth or perhaps due to Crystal’s distinguished reputation in food and beverage, the caliber of talent on these voyages is astounding.”
The distinguished menu of culinary masterminds includes:
Chefs and Other Great Foodies
- Andre Rochat – Michelin Star-awarded owner of AlizÃ© in Las Vegas;
- Cesare Casella – Michelin Star-awarded chef; creator and Dean of the Italian Culinary Academy in New York;
- Timothy Hollingsworth – Sous chef at The French Laundry;
- Odd Ivar Solvold – Bocuse d’Or winner and owner of Solvold and Smak in Norway;
- Oyvind Naesheim – Executive Chef of Nobu Hong Kong;
- Claude Troisgros – Restaurant owner from the legendary Troisgros family;
- Azmin Ghaherman – Owner/chef at Sapphire restaurant in Southern California;
- Giuliano Hazan – Acclaimed Italian cookbook author and instructor;
- Carmelo Chiaramonte – Owner of Il Cuciniere in Catania, Italy;
- Robert Wemischner – Acclaimed chef and instructor; pioneer in culinary fusion techniques;
- Jon Ashton – Food correspondent for “The Daily Buzz” and chef for Relish magazine
- Nancy Harmon Jenkins – Expert in Mediterranean cuisine and acclaimed cookbook author;
Sommeliers and Wine Experts
- Dr. Josef Schuller – Chairman and director of the Masters of Wine;
- Kevin Zraly – James Beard award winner; founder and instructor of the Windows on the World Wine School;
- James Cluer – Only the 3rd Canadian Master of Wine, and one of only 265 worldwide;
- David Glancy – Department Chairman of the Certified Sommelier Program at the Professional Culinary Institute of the Silicon Valley; 1 of only 96 Americans Master Sommeliers
- David Gordon – Master Sommelier; wine director of Tribeca Grill in NY as well as Nobu and Next Door Nobu
- Jim Barrett – Owner of Chateau Montelena in the Napa Valley;
- Kris Margerum – Wine director for Auberge Resorts
- Leslie Sbrocco – Wine expert, host and award-winning author;
- Dale DeGroff – Three-time James Beard Award nominee referred to as the ‘King of Cocktails’;
- Tony Abou-Ganim – Master mixologist and mastermind behind Crystal’s cocktail program and menus;
- Bridget Albert – Mixologist, Director of the Academy of Spirits and Fine Service of Illinois;
- Ryan Magarian – Renowned mixologist; owner of Liquid Relations and developer of Aviation Gin
With Crystal’s own gifted culinary team, the guest chefs, sommeliers and mixologists will lead brand new classes in creating cocktails and preparing pastries, as well as an “Iron Bar” competition and Iron Chef-style contests. Ashore, culinary excursions flavor the experience.
Crystal’s 2009 wine & food cruises are scheduled for May 1, Singapore to Dubai; June 7, Rome to London; July 16, Barcelona to Venice; July 25, Stockholm to Copenhagen; August 9, Athens to Barcelona; November 10, New York to Miami; and November 22, Miami to Manaus.
Most Wine & Food Experiences of Discovery voyages offer an All Inclusive – As You Wish, $1,000 per person spending credit for guests to customize their cruise experience. Additionally, Crystal’s Family Memories Program offers one free berth for every ten full-fare berths, plus other perks, and the Crystal Assurance Plan offers reduced deposits and cancellation periods, as well as the assurance that guests will be protected at the reduced fare if a stateroom category is later reduced.
For more information and Crystal reservations, contact a travel agent or call 888-799-4625. Visit the line’s website, crystalcruises.com.