SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (April 30, 2008) – Two Princess ships will be remodeled to incorporate a number of the most popular amenities that have become passenger favorites on the line’s newer ships. The upcoming makeovers of Star Princess and Caribbean Princess will include a transformation of the Deck 5 atrium into the inviting piazza-style street cafÃƒÂ© currently found on Crown Princess and Emerald Princess; plus will add the company’s signature adults-only Sanctuary and showplace Crown Grill steak and seafood restaurant, along with a more centrally located casino and seven new suites.
Star Princess will receive these new features during her September drydock in San Francisco and Caribbean Princess will follow in January 2009.
The ships’ updated atriums will not only feature the specialty coffees, freshly baked goods, paninis and tapas of the International CafÃƒÂ©, but will also introduce an expanded Vines wine bar concept, which will now include rare vintage wines, a selection of artisan meats and cheeses, plus a wine shop where passengers can purchase their favorite bottle. In addition, passengers will be able to relax in the tranquility of The Sanctuary, Princess’ signature adults-only retreat, featuring plush padded lounge chairs and the services of dedicated Serenity Stewards. The ships will also replace their current steakhouse with the Crown Grill restaurant featuring an open show kitchen where passengers can enjoy watching as chefs prepare chops, steaks and seafood, including live lobsters. As part of the renovation, each vessel will also receive seven new suites with ocean-view picture windows, and the casino will be relocated one deck higher to deck 7, bringing it into the ship’s central entertainment area.
“After Crown Princess and Emerald Princess debuted, we knew we had struck a chord with our passengers who loved the piazza-style atriums, new dining experiences and the peaceful environment of The Sanctuary,” said Jan Swartz, Princess senior vice president. “And so we’re delighted to bring these hallmark features to two of the other vessels.”
To make room for the new features, passengers may find that some of their favorite areas have been relocated. In addition to the casino, the sports court, Internet CafÃƒÂ© and wedding chapel are also among the spaces that will be moved in the renovation process.
The new features passengers will find aboard these vessels include:
- The Piazza – This piazza-style atrium has been a popular area on the new ships, with its sidewalk cafÃƒÂ© feel and casual dining options. The ships will offer this lively area on Deck 5, designed to be the bustling hub of the ship with a street cafÃƒÂ© atmosphere, featuring live music and entertainers throughout the day and evening. With Italian-inspired dÃƒÂ©cor, this charming area serves as an inviting venue throughout the day for passengers seeking a more casual dining option. Within this space, passengers can relax over coffee and pastries at the International CafÃƒÂ© or a glass of wine at Vines, or keep in touch with home at the Internet CafÃƒÂ©.
- Vines – The expanded Vines concept features a wine bar serving a selection of rare and unique new- and old-world vintage wines along with gourmet delicacies. Here passengers can enjoy an assortment of fine wines by the glass, wine flights, a wine shop and a walk-in glass artisan cheese and cured meat humidor. Designed to resemble a wine cellar, the venue hosts unique wine tasting sessions, while the chef makes special appearances to pair selections with some of the world’s most desirable artisan cheeses. Food-lovers can also sample a daily selection of sushi, sashimi, antipasti or ceviche. A signature feature in Vines, wine lovers will have the opportunity to sample a Swiss specialty, Raclette, a traditional melted cheese dish. The Vines shop offers an extensive collection of hard-to-find wines available for purchase, as well as Princess-branded favorites such as extra virgin olive oil, aged Italian balsamic vinegar and a selection of related gift items.
- International CafÃƒÂ© – Serving up a variety of tasty options throughout the day, the International CafÃƒÂ© features an ever-changing array of quick bites and light meal choices. In the morning, passengers will be attracted by the aroma of freshly baked croissants, Danish pastries and beignets; while in the afternoon the CafÃƒÂ© serves grilled-to-order paninis, quiches and salads. At dinnertime passengers can stop by for tapas or dessert – including the popular chocolate fondue. Throughout the day, the cafÃƒÂ© features the line’s famous fresh-baked cookies, and coffee lovers can also select from a variety of specialty coffee drinks and Revolution teas.
- The Sanctuary – The adults-only “pocket of tranquility” that has been so popular on Crown Princess and Emerald Princess, will be added to the uppermost forward deck of the ship, which currently houses the ships’ sports court. The Sanctuary offers a relaxing alternative to the myriad activities available throughout the ship. Solitude seekers will be able to escape completely to this plush, outdoor spa-inspired setting with refreshing beverages and healthy fare, massages, relaxing personal entertainment and attentive service from the area’s Serenity Stewards.
- Crown Grill – The ships will trade their Sterling Steakhouse restaurants for a Crown Grill premium seafood and chop house concept as found on Crown Princess and Emerald Princess. This showplace restaurant entertains passengers with an open, theater-style kitchen where chefs custom-prepare steamed shellfish – such as lobster, scallops, clams and mussels – and cooked-to-order steaks and chops. Passengers can choose to sit at the kitchen’s eat-up counter and watch the show as they dine.
- Suites – Seven new oceanview suites will be added on deck six, offering additional options for passengers who enjoy the luxury and amenities that come with Princess’ most spacious accommodations.
Additional information about Princess Cruises is available through a professional travel agent, by calling 1-800-PRINCESS, or by visiting the company’s website at www.princess.com.