LOS ANGELES – February 4, 2008 – Famed mezzo-soprano Frederica von Stade will headline a program of distinguished artists and composers on Crystal Cruises’ new Classical Music cruise to Scandinavia and Russia this summer. Live performances and guest lectures highlighting the music of Beethoven, Bach and Mozart will transform the ultra-luxury Crystal Symphony into a floating concert hall on an 11-day, June 7, 2008 voyage to the Baltic’s imperial cities.
The impressive roster of musicians, composers and lecturers includes:
- Frederica von Stade – a six-time Grammy-nominated American mezzo-soprano with more than 60 recordings including complete operas, aria albums, symphonic works, solo recitals and popular crossover albums;
- Leila Josefowicz, – a classical violinist and 2007 USA Cummings Fellow who has played famed halls from New York to Munich;
- Anders Paulsson – an internationally acclaimed master of the rare soprano saxophone who has inspired more than 40 composers to write music especially for him;
- Jake Heggie – composer in residence to the San Francisco Opera, renowned for his contemporary operas including “Dead Man Walking” (2000) and composition of more than 200 art songs as well as chamber and concert works;
- Fred Plotkin – renowned for his books on opera, music, the visual arts, food, wine, and travel;
- Joel Revzen – general director of Arizona Opera, also serves on the conducting roster of the Metropolitan Opera, and
- Cindy Rhys – acclaimed actress and cabaret singer.
“While classical music has always been a hallmark of Crystal’s entertainment program, this summer’s theme cruise offers an astounding array of classical and contemporary music talent that will impress sophisticated music aficionados,” says Bret Bullock, Crystal’s vice president, entertainment.
In addition to the stellar line-up of entertainment, classical music enthusiasts will appreciate Crystal’s hands on music instruction and keyboard lessons by Yamaha offered through the Creative Learning Institute. Ashore, guests can attend a performance at St. Petersburg’s famed Mariinsky Theatre and a classical concert at the Hermitage.
The journey features calls in Oslo, Norway; Copenhagen and RÃƒÂ¸nne, Denmark; Helsinki, Finland; St. Petersburg for three full days; concluding with an overnight stay in Stockholm, Sweden. Fares begin at $4,685, per person, double occupancy.
In partnership with Crystal Cruises, guest performances on this voyage are produced and presented by Classical Action, the classical music arm of Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. More information about this organization can be found at classicalaction.org.
About Crystal Cruises
Aboard the ultra-luxurious Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity, refined elegance meets casual simplicity. With an emphasis on innovative product differentiation, the renowned Crystal experience is distinguished by classic service, abundant space, extensive choices and superior quality, providing worldwide vacations that bridge the best of land and sea.
Crystal Cruises has earned the highest ratings in its industry. The luxury line has been voted “World’s Best” by the readers of CondÃƒÂ© Nast Traveler and Travel + Leisure more than any other cruise line, resort or hotel in history.
For additional information, please contact a travel agent or call 888-799-4625. Visit the luxury line’s website at crystalcruises.com.