(Ft. Lauderdale, FL — August 14, 2007) Ultra-luxury Silversea Cruises is expanding its enrichment palette this month with the official launch of the Viking Cooking School Aboard Silversea.
Developed through the company’s unique partnership with Viking Range Corporation, whose ultra-premium appliances grace the luxury kitchens of those who truly enjoy the finer things in life, the Viking Cooking School on each Silversea ship features a custom-designed demonstration culinary theater equipped with state-of-the-art induction stove, sophisticated convection-microwave oven and Viking professional-caliber cookware, cutlery and countertop appliances — plus a large rear projection screen so guests can easily view different cooking techniques and utensils.
A cornerstone of the alliance between the two luxury brands is the exclusive Viking Cooking School culinary curriculum presented to Silversea guests on select voyages hosted by Viking chefs. The curriculum for each cruise is carefully designed to echo the cultural flavor of the ship’s itinerary. Highlights include cooking demonstrations with wine pairings and interactive Q&A sessions; a “Lunch and Learn” event giving groups of 12-16 guests a chance to sample a delicious meal of specially prepared dishes; and a “Market to the Plate” experience (offered on certain voyages when the itinerary permits) that provides an escorted tour of a local market followed by a cooking class.
“This alliance was a natural one for us and we are thrilled to be the only cruise line to partner with this renowned luxury company,” said Erling Frydenberg, Silversea’s chief operations officer. “There are land-based Viking Cooking Schools in select cities, but our ships are the first in the cruise industry to present the exclusive Viking curriculum in custom-designed culinary theaters at sea.”
Added Frydenberg, “Many of our guests have Viking appliances at home, so the interactive cooking demonstrations not only entertain and educate, but are a great opportunity for guests to ask questions and learn more about how to get the most benefits from their own high-performance culinary equipment.”
All Viking instructors are accomplished chefs and culinary industry leaders who bring many years of expertise and knowledge to the classroom. When Viking chefs are not on board, the culinary theaters serve as venues for the international guest chefs of Relais & Chateaux to show off their extraordinary talents on select Culinary Arts cruises. On all other voyages, Silversea’s own master chefs take the stage to host cooking demonstrations and dynamic competitions.
Listed below is a preliminary sampling of upcoming Viking Cooking Schools Aboard Silversea:
- Silver Shadow departs August 25, 2007 on a 9-day voyage (#3722) from Copenhagen to Hamburg with calls in Gothenborg, Sweden, Rostock, Germany and the Norwegian ports of Ulvik, Bergen and Oslo. Hosted by Viking Chef Christopher Green, a gifted chef who honed his French culinary skills at L’Academie de Cuisine in Washington, D.C ., and has taught more than 1,700 cooking classes for a range of companies. Early Booking Incentive fares start at $6,236 per person.
- Silver Cloud departs August 26, 2007 on a 12-day voyage (#1723) from Athens to Istanbul with calls in Batumi, Georgia; Constanta, Romania; Nesebur, Bulgaria; Odessa, Sevastopol and Yalta in Ukraine; and the Turkish cities of Sinop and Trabzon. Hosted by Viking Chef Lynn Gorfinkle, a certified nutrition counselor who manages training and operations for all Viking Cooking Schools. Early Booking Incentive fares start at $9,005 per person.
- Silver Whisper departs August 31, 2007 on a 7-day voyage (#4731) from Barcelona to Lisbon with calls in Oporto, Portugal and the Spanish ports of Malaga, Cadiz and Vigo. Hosted by Viking Chef Elizabeth Heiskell, who owns her own successful catering company and has prepared dishes for recognizable names such as Duchess of York Sarah Ferguson, and former Vice President Al Gore. Silver Sailing fares start at $4,406 per person.
- Silver Shadow departs September 12, 2007 on an 11-day voyage (#3724) from London to Lisbon with calls in Vigo, Spain; Oporto, Portugal; and the French towns of Honfleur, St. Malo and Bordeaux. Hosted by Viking Chef Riki Senn, a 25-year veteran of the culinary industry who writes curriculum for Viking Cooking Schools. Her career highlights include serving as fine dining chef at West Virginia’s renowned Greenbrier Resort. Early Booking Incentive fares start at $7,046 per person.
- Silver Wind departs October 18, 2007 on a 12-day voyage (#2729) from Fort Lauderdale to Barbados with calls in Key West, Grand Turk, St. Thomas, Virgin Gorda, Antigua, St. Bart’s, St. Lucia and Grenada. Hosted by Viking Chef Kathleen Bruno, who develops classes and recipes for Viking Cooking Schools, and her husband Luis Bruno, currently executive chef at the Mississippi Governor’s Mansion. Silver Sailing fares start at $4,017 per person.
For complete voyage details and the latest information on Viking Cooking School cruises, visit www.silversea.com.
Viking Cooking School is a creation of Viking Range Corporation, the originator of commercial-type appliances for the home. Internationally, Viking products are distributed in more than 40 countries. To request product information in the U.S., please contact Viking Range Corporation toll-free at 888.845.4641, or visit the web site at www.vikingrange.com. For more information on Viking Cooking School please visit www.vikingcookingschool.com.
Silversea Cruises is recognized as an innovator in the luxury segment, offering guests large-ship amenities aboard four intimate vessels, Silver Cloud, Silver Wind, Silver Shadow, and Silver Whisper, all designed to offer an atmosphere of conviviality and casual elegance. For the ninth year, Silversea was named “Number One” small-ship line in the 2005 “Readers’ Choice” survey conducted by CondÃƒÂ© Nast Traveler magazine. For the sixth time, Silversea was selected “World’s Best” small-ship line in the 2004 Travel + Leisure readers’ poll.