Posted 15 Nov 2011
For those who are stuck for inspiration for Christmas dishes or never really know what to do with the piles of leftover turkey, then the new short videos from Marco Pierre White and Michelin-starred chef Atul Kochhar will solve the dilemma.
The two chefs, both of whom have restaurants on P&O Cruises ships, show how to make Christmas menus which will impress friends and family, but be simple and stress-free to prepare.
Marco shows how to make a seafood platter for Christmas Eve with a variety of fresh ingredients including Scottish lobsters, Colchester oysters, whelks from the south coast, Dublin Bay prawns/langoustines, crabs from Cornwall and prawns.
To accompany the seafood platter Marco prepares fresh tartare sauce, shallot & red wine vinegar and classic Marie Rose sauce.
Celebrity wine expert, Olly Smith, who has The Glass House wine bar and restaurant on Azura, joins Marco to taste the seafood and chooses the following wines to accompany the dish:
· Blind River Sauvignon Blanc 2010, New Zealand £12.49, Majestic (Glass House favourite)
· Taste the Difference Rias Baixas Albariño 2010, Spain £7.99, Sainsburys
· Le Mesnil Blanc de Blancs 2004 Grand Cru Champagne, France, £30.99, Waitrose
In the second video, renowned Indian chef Atul Kochhar who has the Sindhu restaurant on Azura, shows how to make filo turkey biryani parcels with coconut gravy; aromatic turkey burgers with cranberry chutney and spicy vegetables.
Olly joins his Saturday Kitchen co-presenter to make recommendations for Atul’s piquant menu which include:
· Ken Forrester The Work Horse Chenin Blanc, South Africa £7.99, Marks & Spencer, which is, according to Olly “the little cousin of the FMC big seller in The Glass House and great with mild spicy cooking.”
· Wither Hills Pinot Gris 2011 New Zealand £9.99, Waitrose
· Peller Sparkling Ice Cuvée, Canada £21.90, www.slurp.co.uk
In a third video Olly Smith makes wine recommendations to accompany Christmas lunch. He chooses interesting “off the beaten track” wines which will pair well with the celebratory meal.
· Coates and Seely Rosé Hampshire sparkling wine £29.90, www.slurp.co.uk
· Frog’s Leap Zinfandel 2008, California £22.79, Waitrose
· Sainsburys Taste the Difference 12 year old sweet Pedro Ximenez sherry (with Christmas pudding) £7.99, Sainsburys
All videos can be viewed at www.youtube.com/pandocruises and direct links to each video are:
Marco Pierre White’s seafood platter
Atul Kochhar’s Boxing Day feast
Olly Smith’s festive tipples
About P&O Cruises:
P&O Cruises can trace its roots back to 1837 and 2012 will mark the 175th anniversary of when the Peninsular Steam Navigation Company was awarded the lucrative Admiralty contract to carry mail to the Iberian Peninsula and beyond. Not long afterwards the concept of cruising was born and since then has evolved into a popular holiday choice. Today, as trusted cruise experts, P&O Cruises has a fleet of seven ships offering holidays tailored to British tastes combining genuine service, a sense of occasion and attention to detail, ensuring passengers have the holiday of a lifetime, every time. Azura was launched in April 2010 – officially named by Godmother Darcey Bussell CBE. Small ship Adonia was added to the fleet in May 2011, named by Dame Shirley Bassey, DBE, and a new 141,000 ton as yet unnamed ship will be added to the fleet in spring 2015.