Bookings opened for the P&O Cruises and Cunard 2011 world voyages this week with a record breaking start. On Wednesday 1 July, 2,044 people booked voyages from the two programmes, 47% more than on the same day last year for 2010 world voyages, when a total of 1,385 bookings were made.
P&O Cruises is offering its largest ever world voyage programme in 2011, with four ships offering itineraries. For Cunard the brand new ocean liner Queen Elizabeth is sailing on her maiden world cruise, with Queen Mary 2 undertaking her fourth Grand Voyage.
P&O Cruises managing director, Nigel Esdale, said: â€œWe hope that the figures for both companies are indicative of shoots of growth for the travel industry as a whole, and show the resilience of the cruise sector. The appetite to take that â€˜once in a lifetimeâ€™ voyage is far from in decline, and for many experienced cruisers a world voyage is becoming a regular winter holiday experience. The success of this launch day suggests that cruising is more immune to the current economic climate and that holidays are still a priority.
â€œP&O Cruises is the world voyage expert and has used this wealth of experience to create this, the largest and most varied programme for 2011. With four ships sailing roundtrip from Southampton visiting a total of 89 ports in 46 countries we are able to offer more choice, more destinations and more holiday options than ever before.â€
Cunard president and managing director, Carol Marlow, said: â€œWe are delighted to see this great response to the Cunard world voyage programme. We were the first to offer a world cruise back in 1922, and guests still seek out that civilised and authentic Cunard experience. Queen Elizabeth, whose keel was laid in Italy this week, will take her maiden word voyage in 2011â€.
For more information visit:
P&O Cruises on 0845 3 584 444, www.pocruises.co.uk
Cunard Line on 0845 071 0302, www.cunard.com