Miami – Jun 1, 2010 — Singers, cloggers, jump ropers, trapeze artists and a comic are all vying to become the winner in Norwegian Cruise Line’s Search for the Epic Star video contest which kicked-off on March 12, 2010. Contest judges have selected their top eight entries and starting today, the public will have the chance to vote at USA TODAY’s Cruise Blog, www.cruiselog.usatoday.com. Semi-finalists include:
– Clay and Heather Barnhart, The Capital City Cloggers, a married clogging duo from Irmo, SC who blend the traditional style of clogging with the contemporary;
– The Diamond Sisters, a trapeze act from Brattleboro, VT who perform trapeze, aerial hoop, silks, web and contortion acts including their “Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend” routine;
– Jonathan Mann, a songwriter from Berkeley, CA who’s written a new song a day for more than 255 days; if he wins the Epic Search contest, he’ll write and perform a new song for the occasion;
– Moody McCarthy, a stand-up comic from Astoria, NY who is known for combining sharp, unpredictable material with an engaging delivery and stage presence;
– Cliff McCormick, a tenor from Fremont, CA who sings English, Spanish, Italian, Tagolog Opera, Popera, Pop, Broadway, Ballads, Blues and more;
– Douglas Mytnik, a Rat-Pack impersonator from Cape Coral, FL who calls himself “The One Rat Pack;”
– Skip Sensations, a four-woman group from Chapel Hill, NC who perform jump rope routines including double dutch, freestyle, speed and more; and
– Tori Sparks, a bluesy rock singer/songwriter from Nashville, TN is working on her fourth album and has toured throughout the U.S. and Europe.
The judges selected the semi-finalists based on creativity, originality, entertainment value, quality of performance and professionalism. Only original content was eligible.
From June 1 through 11, the public will have the opportunity to vote at www.cruiselog.usatoday.com for their favorite. From the top three scoring acts, the judges – Tim Aumiller of Blue Man Group, Neil Goldberg of Cirque Dreams” & Dinner, Brian Brigner of Legends in Concert and Beth Kligerman of The Second CityÂ® Comedy Troupe – will select the grand prize winner, who will be announced on June 18, 2010. The top two finalists and grand prize winner will be awarded the opportunity to come to Norwegian Epic’s inaugural in New York, July 2-4, 2010. The grand prize winner will also be invited to perform on board during the inaugural cruise, as well as receive a seven-day Caribbean cruise on Norwegian Epic during her inaugural season.
For more information about the Search for the Epic Star contest and to view the eight semi-finalist videos, visit www.cruiselog.usatoday.com.