Miami – Nov 16, 2007 — Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today announced five finalists in its Search for the Latitudes Ã¢â‚¬Å“ItÃ¢â‚¬Â Girl contest, the winner of which will be named Godmother of its new ship, Norwegian Gem. Finalists were selected from more than 500 online video entries submitted by Latitudes members (past NCL guests) showcasing why they should be named the shipÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Godmother and how they embody the qualities of an Ã¢â‚¬Å“ItÃ¢â‚¬Â Girl.
Finalist videos are now posted on www.gemitgirl.com and the public is invited to help NCL pick the winner by voting for their favorite Ã¢â‚¬Å“ItÃ¢â‚¬Â Girl finalist now through December 7, 2007. The five finalists will be whisked away to Norwegian GemÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s christening ceremony on December 18, 2007 in New York City where the winner will be announced and will christen the ship. Additionally, she will receive the ultimate Ã¢â‚¬Å“ItÃ¢â‚¬Â Girl treatment on a fabulous seven-day cruise in Norwegian GemÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s posh Garden Villa for her and five members of her entourage.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“We want to thank all of our Latitudes members who participated. We were impressed with the number of creative, funny and heartwarming videos we received from Ã¢â‚¬Å“ItÃ¢â‚¬Â Girls of all ages,Ã¢â‚¬Â said Colin Veitch, NCLÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s president and CEO. Ã¢â‚¬Å“These five finalistsÃ¢â‚¬â€in their own unique wayÃ¢â‚¬â€embody the free-spirited, sophisticated and confident qualities of our new Ã¢â‚¬ËœItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ Girl, Norwegian Gem. And in keeping with the spirit of NCLÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Freestyle Cruising, weÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re asking the public to vote for their favorite finalist, so they can help us determine who should be Norwegian GemÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Godmother.Ã¢â‚¬Â
The contest finalists* are:
- Lauren Kampf, 22, from Oakland, N.J.; her video takes a comedic look at all of the activities and adventures offered on an NCL cruise. Lauren is a recent Music and Theater graduate of Washington and Lee University and has sailed on four NCL cruises;
- Shannon Maxey, 29, from Virginia Beach, Va.; her video shows her versatility and exotic talents. Shannon is an artist and has a Master of Fine Arts from Old Dominion University. She recently sailed on Pride of Hawai`i;
- Cindy Cardella, 31, from Fairfield, N.J.; her video chronicles her NCL cruise experiences from childhood onwards, and highlights all of the places she has visited. Cindy has sailed with NCL on more than 30 cruises and is a stay at home mom with three boys, ages five, three and five months;
- Louise Strong, 44, from South Hero, Vt.; her video discusses and demonstrates her ebullient love for NCL. Louise is a high school administrator at Essex High School in Essex Junction, Vt. and has been married to her husband Ed for 22 years. Louise has sailed on 16 NCL cruises;
- Mary OÃ¢â‚¬â„¢Dea, 75, from Milford, Pa.; her video illustrates how NCL, and NCL crew members, are a part of her life. Mary has four children and has sailed on eight NCL cruises.
In a video entry, entrants were encouraged to include how they embody the attributes of NCLÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s hottest, hippest new ship, Norwegian Gem, as well as the free spirit of NCLÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Freestyle Cruising. These characteristics include sophistication, independence and confidence, eagerness to explore new destinations and learn new things, glamour, style and culture, along with a youthful and adventurous spirit regardless of age. The five finalists were selected on creativity and originality of their submission. Contest details, terms and conditions can be found online at www.gemitgirl.com.
In addition to the five finalists, NCL is recognizing the following five entrants as honorable mentions; and their videos will also be available for viewing at www.gemitgirl.com:
- Leah Goodman, 23, of Radford, Va.;
- Meghan Hasselberg, 28, of Arlington Heights, Ill.;
- Kristin Mueller, 30, of Minneapolis, Minn.;
- Alane Aihara, 44, of Makawao, Hawai`i;
- Marlene Ebeo, 69, of Pearl City, Hawai`i.
*All finalists are subject to the verification of eligibility.
NCL Corporation Ltd. is the holding company for various subsidiary companies involved in owning and operating the ships of Norwegian Cruise Line, NCL America and Orient Lines.
NCL plans to build two new third generation Freestyle Cruising ships for delivery in 2010. NCL today has the youngest fleet in the industry, providing guests the opportunity to enjoy the flexibility of Freestyle Cruising on the newest, most contemporary ships at sea, and has recently added its latest new ship, the 2,400 passenger Norwegian Gem.
For high resolution, downloadable images, please log onto NCL’s Web site at www.ncl.com/pressroom. For further information on NCL Corporation, contact a travel agent or NCL in the U.S. and Canada at (866) 234-0292.