Miami – Apr 24, 2008 – Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) announced today that it has introduced new entertainment on board Norwegian Jade as part of the ship’s year-round deployment in Europe. Reflecting the company’s continuing commitment to Freestyle Cruising, the wide variety of entertainment offerings were designed to offer guests more flexibility during Norwegian Jade’s port-intensive European itineraries. The new entertainment includes four new off-Broadway musicals, the legendary show phenomenon Tony n Tina’s Wedding, an expanded The Second City comedy show, and a classical dance production by award-winning choreographer Twyla Tharp. In addition, Norwegian Jade is the first NCL ship to feature Freestyle 2.0 enhancements, including all new menus in the restaurants, upgraded bedding and enhanced on-board activities programming, including NCL “U” enrichment classes, themed parties, sports programming and enhanced youth programs.
“With Norwegian Jade’s year-round deployment in Europe, we’ve developed special entertainment programming that raises the bar for cruise ship entertainment, offering an engaging and vibrant daytime and nighttime line-up for our guests,” said Colin Veitch, NCL’s president and CEO. “At the same time, Norwegian Jade is the first to feature our Freestyle 2.0 enhancements and the combination of these two initiatives is providing an extraordinary Freestyle Cruising experience for guests sailing on Norwegian Jade.”
On Norwegian Jade, NCL has replaced the traditional cruise director with both a master of ceremonies and a guest activities director. The master of ceremonies is a professional entertainer who hosts all evening events while the guest activities director coordinates the ship’s daytime activities. In addition, the entertainment scheduling has been changed to allow guests more flexibility and choice each evening. The nighttime production shows are offered twice per cruise, but only one performance per evening, in contrast to the traditional offering of one production show being offered twice per night. This provides guests the option of catching a show later in the cruise if they miss the first performance. In addition, most evenings there is a second show performed that includes acrobatics, action comedy and magic. To enhance the performance, all shows are performed live with the accompaniment of the Norwegian Jade orchestra.
Freestyle Entertainment Offers Something for Everyone
Norwegian Jade’s new Freestyle Entertainment includes:
- Smokey Joe’s CafÃƒÂ©, The Songs of Leiber and Stoller: A jukebox comes alive during this Tony-awarding winning musical, showcasing more than 40 classic favorite rock and roll, rhythm and blues songs written by songwriters Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. The hits include “Dance with Me,” “Poison Ivy,” “Hound Dog,” “Stand by Me,” and more.
- SHOUT! The Mod Musical: Based on a popular British magazine, this engaging revue brings back the smashing sounds of England in the 1960s. From cover to cover, SHOUT! travels through the decade with unforgettable music of the era and includes performances of classic songs such as “Downtown,” “Son of a Preacher Man,” and “Goldfinger” along with eye-popping fashions and groovy dance numbers.
- And the World Goes ‘Round: The Songs of Kander & Ebb: This glittering musical features an eclectic collection of love and torch songs, such as “New York, New York,” “Cabaret,” and “Money, Money,” interspersed with banjos, roller skates and a tribute to Sara Lee.
- Showdown!: This NCL Entertainment original production features four “contestants” who compete in a mock reality singing competition where the audience votes on the winner. The contestants sing Motown favorites and engage the audience with their unique personalities. They also invite the audience to join in the fun in a dance-a-thon medley.
- Sinatra Suite: Choreographed by the award-winning dance legend Twyla Tharp, this two-dancer ballet set to Sinatra music was originally performed by Mikhail Baryshnikov and is performed on the ship by a husband and wife team. Full of emotion and romance, the piece features classic Frank Sinatra songs, including “Strangers in the Night,” “That’s Life,” and “My Way.” Costumes for the production were designed by Oscar de la Renta. The dance is performed as part of a Classical Evening that includes an opera singer and another Tharp choreographed work, Junk Duet.
- The Second City International Cabaret: A seven-member ensemble from famed Chicago improvisational group, The Second City, hosts an entirely new and expanded evening of cabaret theatre in the Spinnaker Lounge. Offered multiple nights and running for four hours, the cabaret mixes The Second City’s unique sketch improvisational comedy with game show vignettes, special guests and dance and music sets performed by a live band. This highly interactive evening includes lots of spontaneous entertainment and audience involvement.
- Tony ‘n Tina’s Wedding: The hottest off-Broadway show and one of the longest running, Tony n’ Tina’s Wedding is a hilarious interactive show that satirizes a traditional Italian-American wedding with audience members as “invited guests” to the nuptials of the Vitale and Nunzio families, portrayed by a improvisational cast of 25. The wedding and reception is held once per cruise in the Spinnaker Lounge, which is transformed into Vinnie’s Coliseum restaurant, a classic Italian wedding hall complete with pasta served on paper plates.
- Bar Central: In addition to the shows in the Stardust Theater and Spinnaker Lounge, Bar Central is another exciting entertainment venue. This dynamic piano lounge attracts guests from cocktail hour to late night with its engaging blend of show tunes, classical and popular music. Guest entertainers from other venues often drop in for impromptu duets and star turns. Freestyle 2.0 Offers Enhanced On-Board Activities
On Norwegian Jade, guests are among the first to experience a wide-range of new day and evening offerings as part of Freestyle 2.0. These include:
- NCL “U”: Guests on Norwegian Jade can experience this enhanced educational, entertainment and lifestyle programming, which includes a number of offerings throughout each cruise focused on four distinct areas: Digital Age & Technology; Destination Education; Food, Wine and Spirits; and Comedy & Humor hosted by the famed The Second City troupe. Guests can choose from a number of seminars including a variety of sessions giving tips on digital photography, a series of destination discovery overviews, mojito making, tequila tasting, French pastry making, 30-minute Italian meals, corporate world improv tips, class clowns: improv for kids and much more.
- New Themed Parties: Guests can party to the wee hours with two new themed nighttime parties: NCL’s White Hot Night and NCL’s Monte Carlo Night. Held in the Spinnaker Lounge on Norwegian Jade, the White Hot Night is the ultimate dance party set in a wonderland of white. Guests are also asked to wear white to the party and they can purchase special “white hot” shirts designed specifically for the event. NCL’s Monte Carlo Night, held in the casino, sizzles with all of the glitz and glam reminiscent of the French Riviera. It’s an evening of tantalizing entertainment unlike any other.
- Enhanced Pool Deck Experience: Guests on Norwegian Jade are treated to a number of special sailaway parties throughout the cruise. Drink flags have been added on all deck chairs with witty sayings such as “I’m unwinding. (Please don’t make me walk to the bar).” In addition, cold towels are delivered regularly throughout the day and crew members are equipped with Evian spritzers to cool off guests who need some refreshing.
- Enhanced Sports Programming: All new sports activities have been designed to make the sports deck more interactive and exciting. These activities include basketball tournaments; fitness classes such as body sculpting and stretch and relax offered outside on the sports deck; scheduled walks with the activities staff; and scheduled shuffleboard, table tennis and human-sized chess games on the sports deck.
- Expanded Kid’s Crew and More Teen Activities: Kid’s Crew hours have been expanded and now run from approximately 9:00 am through to 10:30 pm on both port and sea days. Parents have the flexibility of letting their children enjoy the Kid’s Crew during these expanded times. As part of Freestyle 2.0, table games, Nintendo Wii and Xbox video game consoles have been added to the Teen Lounge.
NCL Corporation Ltd. is the holding company for various subsidiary companies involved in owning and operating the ships of Norwegian Cruise Line.
NCL is building two new third generation Freestyle Cruising ships for delivery in 2010. NCL today has the youngest fleet in the industry, providing guests the opportunity to enjoy the flexibility of Freestyle Cruising on the newest, most contemporary ships at sea, and has recently added its latest new ship, the 2,400 passenger Norwegian Gem.