FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. (November 10, 2009) â€“ Welcomed by local and port officials and popular television star and entrepreneur Suzanne Somers, MSC Poesia arrived in Port Everglades today to begin her inaugural season of Caribbean sailings.
â€œWe are very excited to introduce MSC Poesia to North America,â€ says Richard E. Sasso, president and CEO of MSC Cruises (USA), Inc. â€œIt is an elegant ship in every respect â€“ spectacular public areas, and a wealth of choices for dining, entertainment and activities, all with a style that epitomizes MSC Cruises.â€
Somers presented Sasso with a plaque commemorating the shipâ€™s arrival.
â€œMSC Poesia is poetry in motion and we are excited to have her sail to our shores,â€ said Port Everglades Director Phil Allen.
The Italian, family-owned line is bringing the elegant MSC Poesia to Fort Lauderdale for a season featuring itineraries of 3, 5, 7, 8 and 10 nights throughout the Caribbean and to Bermuda during the winter season before returning to Europe in spring 2010.
MSC Poesia features 1,275 staterooms, of which 80% are outside staterooms and 65% have a balcony. Guests can enjoy 2 pools and 4 hot tubs, a 13,000-square-foot spa, and four restaurants, including a Sushi Bar themed restaurant.
MSC Poesia arrived in Fort Lauderdale this morning after a 17-night transatlantic journey from Venice. Her Caribbean season will include:
* 5-night sailings: Nov. 10 and Nov. 15
* 10-night itineraries â€“ Nov. 20, Nov. 30, Dec. 10
* 7-night Christmas itinerary, departing Dec. 20
* 7-night New Yearâ€™s itinerary, departing Dec. 27
* 7-night itineraries â€“ a variety of eastern and western itineraries Jan. 16-April 10
* 7-night Bermuda itinerary â€“ departing April 17, features 3 nights in Bermuda
* 3-night Bahamas cruise, departing April 24
MSC Poesia departs Fort Lauderdale April 27 on an 18-night voyage to Hamburg.
During the 2009-10 season, MSC Poesia will host an extensive lineup of theme cruises, including:
1. Presidentâ€™s Cruise: Nov. 10, 2009 — 5-night â€œCaribbean Escapeâ€
2. Latin Music: Jan. 23, 2010 — 7-night â€œEastern Caribbean Enchantmentâ€
3. Comedy:Jan. 30 2010 — 7-night â€œEastern Caribbean Enchantmentâ€
4. Country Music: Feb. 20, 2010 — 7-night â€œEastern Caribbean Enchantmentâ€
5. Oldies Music: March 20, 2010 — 7-night â€œEastern Caribbean Dreamâ€
6. Festa Italiana: April 10, 2010 — 7-night â€œIsland Treasures & Ancient Templesâ€
7. Baseball Greats: Nov. 20, 2009 10-night â€œDazzling Dutch Caribbean & The Panama Canalâ€; 7-night sailings: Jan. 16, 2010 and Feb. 6, 2010 â€œIsland Treasures & Ancient Templesâ€; March 6, 2010 â€œEastern Caribbean Enchantmentâ€; April 3, 2010 â€œEastern Caribbean Dream.â€
8. Big Band: Dec. 10, 2009 — 10-night â€œRemarkable Rainforests & The Panama Canalâ€
9. Polka:Jan. 9, 2010 — 7-night â€œEastern Caribbean Enchantmentâ€
10. Baseball Greats & Big Band: Feb. 27, 2010 — 7-night â€œIsland Treasures & Ancient Templesâ€
11. Life Modification Cruise: January 16, 2010â€”7 night â€œIsland Treasures & Ancient Templesâ€
On each sailing, guests will enjoy the lineâ€™s highly acclaimed entertainment, European-style ambiance, dishes from â€œLa Cucina Italiana,â€ and top-of-the-line pampering.
For more information on MSC Cruises, visit www.msccruisesusa.com or a local travel professional.