Thanks again to all our our readers who responded to our cruise and the economy poll. The answers were all over the board. Here’s a snap shot of our results as of February 19th 2008:
How has the current economic down turn affected your cruise plans for this year?
* I am still hoping to cruise and hoping that prices will drop to my budget level. (22.0%, 40 Votes)
* I was already booked and not affected. (20.0%, 36 Votes)
* I’ll still cruise but cut back on on board spending and excursions. (18.0%, 33 Votes)
* I’m not affected by the down turn but still hoping to save or upgrade. (16.0%, 30 Votes)
* I probably won’t be able to afford a cruise this year. (12.0%, 22 Votes)
* I am already booked and now trying to figure out how I can afford the cruise. (8.0%, 15 Votes)
* I can still afford to cruise, but am choosing to spend that money on something besides a cruise. (4.0%, 7 Votes)
* I am not expecting the prices to come down. (1.0%, 1 Votes)
You can see the answers are pretty evenly distributed, with the most popular answer being that most people are still hoping to cruise and hoping that prices will come down to their budget. Still others had already booked their cruise, and I’m guessing paid for their cruise. Hence those responders have not made any changes to their cruise plans. Others will cut back on their onboard spending like excursions, specialty restaurants, beverages, and onboard purchases. The good news is that a full 16% of respondents report that they have been unaffected by the down turn, but hope that they can save or upgrade on their next cruise. I hope that things turn around for our 8% of readers whom I’m sure have been looking forward the their cruise vacation but are now trying to figure out how to afford it. Finally we have about 8% that are choosing to spend their money on something besides a cruise. Perhaps they are planning to do a little economic stimulation of their own by spending the money locally or for a land based vacation closer to home. We only had one responder who thought that they prices would not come down.
I have been looking for a bargain cruise for my family and most of the good deals are either in a 90 day window or a least inside 6 months. We are not looking to cruise again until probably November at the earliest, so we have not been able to take advantage of the good deals just yet. If you responded to our poll and would like to elaborate more on your answer please feel free to leave your thoughts in our comments section. We would love to hear about any good deals that you have been able to find. If you are planning on doing something other than a cruise tell us about that too.
We’ve got a new poll up and running now about tipping, so be sure to check that out too.