April 10 – Following simultaneous World Cruises in early 2009, Cunard Line’s flagship Queen Mary 2 and the new Queen Victoria will celebrate Cunard’s 170th year in service by embarking on a series of more than 60 departures calling on over 75 ports in 34 countries. Highlights of the 2009 schedule include additional Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic Crossings (including options to extend or embark a Crossing via Boston) and 11 new Queen Victoria itineraries featuring 18 maiden calls.
“Among the most discerning travelers, Cunard Line holds a special place,” says Carol Marlow, president of Cunard Line. “It is, without question, the line-of-choice for those who seek a singular blend of elegance and grandeur coupled with a most distinctive history and lineage. Whether they are attracted to the line’s collection of intriguing itineraries, unparalleled onboard enrichment programme, legendary White Star Service(tm) or exceptional cuisine that rivals anything on land, our guests know they will be rewarded with one of life’s most extraordinary travel experiences.”
Queen Mary 2 Highlights
Continuing her reign as the world’s grandest ocean liner, Queen Mary 2 will continue to be the line of choice for those travelers who seek the pinnacle in gracious ocean travel and elegant shipboard style. 2009 marks her fifth year of service with a record number of New York departures as well as an extended Transatlantic season with 6-, 8- and 9-day Crossings. In total, she will sail 25 Transatlantic Crossings, including classic six-day voyages between Southampton and New York, two eight-day voyages between Hamburg and New York, one eight-day voyage from Boston via New York to Southampton and one nine-day Crossing from Southampton via New York to Halifax and Boston.
In commemoration of her fifth year in service, Queen Mary 2 will sail her maiden tour of the British Isles with an eight-day Around the British Isles itinerary that will include first-time calls to Liverpool, Glasgow and Cork. In addition to the British Isles voyage, Queen Mary 2’s 2009 schedule is also highlighted by her extended European season with voyages in Northern and Southern Europe:
- Voyage of the Vikings, a seven-day roundtrip voyage departing from Southampton on June 6 with calls to Stavanger, Flaam, Hellesylt, Geiranger and Bergen.
- Northern Splendours, an eight-day roundtrip voyage departing from Hamburg on August 7 with calls to Oslo, Stavanger, Bergen, Hellesylt, Geiranger, and Alesund.
- Mediterranean Delights, an 11-day roundtrip voyage departing from Southampton on May 14 with calls to Lisbon, Gibraltar, Rome (Civitavecchia), Monte Carlo and Barcelona.
- Mediterranean Highlights, a 12-day roundtrip voyage departing from Southampton on Sept 14 with calls to Lisbon, Gibraltar, Rome, Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Monte Carlo and Barcelona.
Guests who wish to skip air travel and luxuriate in an all-at-sea travel experience by sailing roundtrip to Europe from New York, can do so with Cunard’s Grand Voyages of 20-24 days. These are available for each of the above itineraries by adding a legendary Transatlantic Crossing to the beginning and end of a voyage, affording guests an extended and more relaxing journey of a lifetime.
In the fall, Queen Mary 2 returns to the Americas, once again taking in the vivid autumn colors of New England and Canada on two seven-day Splendors of Autumn voyages, scheduled Oct 2 and Oct 29. Stops include the quintessential New England and Canadian ports of Boston, MA; Portland, ME; Newport, RI; Halifax, Nova Scotia and St. John, New Brunswick. In addition, the ship will offer two Holiday Getaway voyages coinciding with long holiday weekends: the five-day July 1 Fourth of July Getaway with calls in Halifax and Boston, and the four-day Sept 4 Labor Day Getaway calling on St. John, New Brunswick.
In November and December, Queen Mary 2 will once again sail her fall Caribbean season from New York, and is set to visit many popular sun-drenched ports on four voyages of ten- to 15-days from New York:
- Connoisseur’s Caribbean, two 10-day roundtrip voyages departing from New York on Nov 30 and Dec 10 with calls to St. Maarten, Barbados, Grenada, St. Lucia and St. Thomas.
- Caribbean Delights, a 13-day roundtrip voyage departing from New York on Nov 17 with calls to Cristobal, CuraÃƒÂ§ao, Grenada, Barbados, St. Kitts and Tortola.
- Caribbean Celebration, a 15-day roundtrip voyage departing from New York on Dec 20 with calls to Grand Turk, Tortola, CuraÃƒÂ§ao, Grenada, Barbados, St. Lucia, Dominica, St. Kitts and St. Thomas.
Queen Victoria Highlights
Kicking off her second year at sea, Queen Victoria will offer a wide range of voyages from her home port of Southampton. Her 2009 schedule features 11 new itineraries with 18 maiden calls, including Kristiansand, Norway; Gothenburg, Sweden; Alghero on the Italian Island of Sardinia, and Cephalonia, Greece. Queen Victoria will sail the sunny Mediterranean on eight voyages of 12- to 16-days. They include:
- Mediterranean Medley, two 12-day roundtrip voyages departing from Southampton on April 20 and August 17 with calls to Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Rome (Civitavecchia), Sardinia (Alghero), Mallorca (Palma) and Gibraltar.
- Mediterranean Mosaic, a 12-day roundtrip voyage departing from Southampton on Oct 26 with calls to Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Rome, Corsica, Mallorca and Gibraltar.
- Mediterranean Explorer, a 13-day roundtrip voyage departing from Southampton on June 10 with calls to Barcelona, Cannes, Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Rome, Sardinia, Mallorca and Gibraltar.
- Mediterranean Treasures, two 14-day roundtrip voyages departing from Southampton on May 6 and July 20 with calls to Vigo (for Santiago de Compostela), Lisbon, Palma, Barcelona, Cannes, Rome, Corsica (Ajaccio) and Gibraltar.
- Mediterranean Adventure, a 16-day roundtrip voyage departing from Southampton on Sept 2 with calls to Malaga (for Grenada), Cephalonia, Dubrovnik, Venice, Split, Corfu and Gibraltar.
- Wonders of the Mediterranean, a 16-day roundtrip voyage departing from Southampton on Nov 7 with calls to Malaga, Palermo (Sicily), Dubrovnik, Venice, Split, Corfu and Gibraltar.
In addition, Queen Victoria will sail the picturesque Canaries and the Atlantic Coast on three separate itineraries, including a 16-day holiday season voyage, A Festive Celebration, which sails roundtrip from Southampton on Dec 19 which calls on La Coruna (for Santiago de Compostela), Lisbon, Seville (Cadiz), Gibraltar, Lanazarote, Grand Canaria (Las Palmas), Tenerife (Santa Cruz de Tenerife), La Palma and Madeira (Funchal). Shorter Canary Islands itineraries include the 10-day Iberian Serenade sailing roundtrip from Southampton on Oct 12 with calls to Vigo, Tenerife, Gran Canaria, La Palma and Madeira, and the 12-day Canary Island Explorer, departing roundtrip from Southampton on November 23 with calls to Madeira, La Palma, Tenerife, Gran Canaria, Lanzarote, Lisbon and Vigo.
In July, she will make her maiden voyage to Iceland, visiting nine ports including Akureyri, home of the northernmost golf course in the world, and Reykjavik, the northernmost capital city in the world, on the 13-day Geysers & Glaciers itinerary roundtrip from Southampton. Other port calls include Grundarfjordur, Alesund, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Flaam/Sognefjord, Stavanger and Bergen. Other voyages in the Northern Europe region include:
- Norwegian Wonders, a seven-day roundtrip voyage departing from Southampton on May 20 with calls to Stavanger, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Alesund and Bergen.
- Winter Wonderland, a ten-day roundtrip voyage with overnight stays in both Hamburg and Copenhagen, departing from Southampton on Dec 9 with additional calls to Stavanger, Oslo and Brussels/Bruges (Zeebrugge).
- Baltic Splendours, two 14-day roundtrip voyages departing from Southampton on May 27 and August 3 with calls to Brussels/Bruges, Bremerhaven, Kristiansand, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg (overnight), Tallinn and Gottenburg.
- Land of the Midnight Sun, a 14-day roundtrip voyage departing from Southampton on June 23 with calls to Stavanger, Hellesylt, Geiranger, Honningsvag, North Cape, Ny Alesund (Spitsbergen), Tromso, Andalsnes and Bergen.
Queen Victoria will also offer a set of four Gallic Getaway voyages sailing roundtrip from Southampton with stops in such classic ports as Cherbourg (for Normandy), Rotterdam (for Amsterdam) and Brussels/Bruges. The four-day voyages are scheduled for May 2, Aug 29, Oct 22 and Dec 5. Queen Victoria will make her maiden voyage to New England and Canada in 2009. Her 24-day Autumn Colours voyage stops in such historic seaports as Boston, MA; Newport, RI, Quebec City and Halifax, Nova Scotia, the birthplace of Sir Samuel Cunard.
2009 voyages aboard Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria will be available for booking beginning April 17, 2008. Cunard World Club members receive 5% savings on all voyages. For more information about Cunard’s 2009 Voyage Programme on Queen Mary 2 or Queen Victoria, call 1-800-7-CUNARD or go to www.cunard.com.