LOS ANGELES, July 23 — A $5,000-per-bottle 1989 Petrus and an increasingly rare 2000 Chateau Hosanna top the list of nearly-impossible-to-get wines procured for Crystal Cruises’ ultimate wine experience on Crystal Serenity’s August 24 Mediterranean cruise. Decanter magazine’s 2008 “Man of the Year” Christian Moueix is bringing these and other impressive vintages from his private collection for the $1,300 per person event, available for just 14 discriminating guests. Throughout the evening, Moueix, who oversees his family’s French estates in Saint Emilion and Pomerol and owns the Dominus Estate in Napa Valley, will guide connoisseurs on the fine nuances of each selection.
“To enjoy these extremely rare wines and to have the personal guidance of an expert such as Mr. Moueix is an amazing treat for one’s senses,” says Toni Neumeister, vice president, food & beverage. “For even the most discerning palates, this is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.”
Three- Michelin-starred chef Heinz Beck of Rome’s acclaimed La Pergola is collaborating to prepare a menu that perfectly pairs food with the wine. Among the multiple courses are Beck’s signature Fagottelli “La Pergola,” Carpaccio of Scallops on Amaranth Grain and Black Corn with Ginger Oil and Crepinette of Lamb.
Superstar wines featured include:
- Chateau Petrus, Pomerol, France, 1989 — from Mr. Moueix’s private collection.
- Chateau Hosanna, Pomerol, France, 2000 — from Mr. Moueix’s private collection.
- Dominus, Napa Valley, California, 1991 — from Mr. Moueix’s private collection.
- Chateau Trotanoy, Pomerol, France, 1995 — from Mr. Moueix’s private collection.
- Chateau D’Yquem, Sauternes, France, 1983
- Salon Brut Blanc de Blancs Champagne Le Mesnil, France, 1997
- Chateau Haut-Brion Blanc, Pessac-Leognan, France, 2004
- Abtsberg Riesling Auslese 101 Maximin Grunhauser, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Germany, 1990
The dinner can only be purchased on board and will be served in Crystal Serenity’s intimate Vintage Room. Introduced in mid-2007, the first three Ultimate Vintage Room Dinners sold out in a matter of hours. Besides these experiences, on every cruise Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony offer Vintage Rooms dinners, typically priced at $210-$250 per person, depending on wines selected.
The 12-day August 24 itinerary will also host the President’s cruise, calling in Turkey’s Kusadasi; Santorini, Rhodes, Crete and Corfu, Greece; and Taormina and Sorrento, Italy. Cruise fares start at $4,995 per person, double occupancy. For more information or Crystal reservations, contact a travel agent or call 888-799-4625. Visit the luxury line’s website at www.crystalcruises.com.