LOS ANGELES, July 12, 2010 â€“ This September, in keeping with Crystal Cruisesâ€™ penchant for quality, choices and innovation, its popular Computer University@Sea will boast brand new, state-of-the-art iMacÂ® workstations with 27-inch glossy, widescreen LED screens and the ability to use and learn both WindowsÂ® 7 and MacÂ® OS X 10.6 operating systems. In addition to the new hardware and a selection of almost two dozen complimentary CU@Sea classes, Crystal is adding five free new classes, taught on both Mac and Windows platforms, when applicable.
â€œWeâ€™re offering guests a choice to use the system with which theyâ€™re most familiar, or try something new with the assistance of our CU@Sea instructors,â€ says Bjorn Andersson, manager, shipboard network operations.
Along with existing Windows 7 classes, new introductory courses for Mac will be available, including:
* Introduction to Computers using iMac and OS X â€“ Covering the iMac basics, from the Dock to the Desktop, plus Mac-specific commands and icons;
* Files, Folders, and the Finder using iMac and OS X â€“ More in-depth instruction on creating, saving and retrieving Word documents on a Mac platform;
* Word Processing using Word in Office: Mac 2008 â€“ MicrosoftÂ® Word, Excel and PowerPoint programs, and using the Toolbox on a Mac platform;
* Processing Photos with iPhotoÂ® â€“ Both basic and advanced options for guests who want to learn anything from how to transfer photos to a Mac using iPhoto, to creating smart albums and compressing and sharing photos via email or blog; and
* IMac Tips & Tricks using OS X â€“ Covering a number of time-saving features, including system preferences, advanced Finder and Dock techniques, Smart Folders and Spotlight elements.
Adds Andersson, â€œThese classes will help beginners get started with computing in an unintimidating, welcoming environment, and advanced users to hone their skills.â€
First introduced in 1996, Crystalâ€™s Computer University@Sea is the most extensive computer learning program at sea, offering dozens of complimentary courses tailored for beginner, intermediate and advanced levels. In addition to the new workstations and 24-hour Internet access from CU@Sea labs and staterooms, laptops are available for rent and can be used anywhere onboard.