My husband and I love to cruise and also appreciate fine wine and attentive service. Many of our Cruise Talk readers also share our love of wine. In fact, 39% of our readers so far have answered our current survey about wine with “We are wine lovers and appreciate a varied wine list, knowledgeable staff, and attentive service.” We usually sail on Celebrity, partially because of their excellent wine program, but wine lovers have more and more choices when it comes to enjoying fine wines on their cruises. Here are some of the highlights broken down by category and cruise line. If you haven’t already answered the current survey about wine, please respond in the box on the right side of the page.
Carnival – Features winery tours in many ports including Ensenada, Quebec, Oregon, Hawaii, Argentina, Europe and others. Has Library Bar with automated tasting machines currently on Carnival Breeze and coming soon to other ships including the Sunshine. The Steak house specialty restaurant has an extensive wine list.
Costa – Features an extensive wine list and wine themed tours.
MSC – Features a Wine list with an Italian flare fleet wide and its “Blend Craft Wines” experience on some sailings.
Norwegian – Features onboard tasting classes and wine themed excursions.
Royal Caribbean – Features the “Vintages Wine Bar” tasting experience on Oasis Class, some Freedom class and some Voyager class ships. Has extensive wine cellars fleet wide, wine tasting seminars, and wine themed excursions.
- Features wine tasting opportunities including: “Introduction to Wine Tasting”, “Round the World Wine Tasting”, food and wine pairing dinners, “Riedel® Comparative Wine Crystal Workshop”, “Wine Flights Tastings”, blending workshop for repeat passengers and wine tasting excursions.
- Wine themed cruises including the “Immersive Europe Wine Cruises” out of England during the 2012 and 2013 fall harvest, and the West Cost Wine Cruises about twice a year.
- Ships feature 3500 fleet wide trained Sommeliers and the Cellar Masters Wine Bar with automated tasting machines. Glass wine tower serves as the focal point on Solstice class ships’ dining rooms.
Holland America – Features “Navigator Wine Tasting” and “Premium Wine Tasting” programs hosted by the Cellar Master and Party Planner on every cruise. Also has wine themed excursions worldwide.
Princess – Features winery tour excursions in US West Coast, Australia, New Zealand, South America and has onboard wine tasting seminars.
Oceania – Features food and wine themed cruises, wine tasting seminars, and wine themed excursions worldwide. Extensive Wine Spectator created wine list and chef selected food and wine pairings.
Azamara – Features complementary boutique wines with lunch and dinner, and wine themed excursions.
Crystal – All beverages, including many fine wines, are included in your cruise fare. Some ultra premium wines available for purchase.
Cunard – Features wine tasting classes and an extensive wine list.
Regent – Features free unlimited beverages, including fine wines and premium spirits, wine tasting seminars, complementary boutique and hand selected wines with dinner paired with cuisine. Ultra premium wines and wine tastings are available for purchase.
- Offers Complementary fine wines with lunch and dinner with premium wines for purchase. The ships feature a walk-in glass wine cellar inside Restaurant 2 to enjoy with their “Tastings@2? small-plates menus.
- Features a certified sommelier to assist guests with selecting wines either from the complimentary list or from the yacht’s extensive on-board wine cellar. There are fewer than 175 Master Sommeliers worldwide, and Seabourn is fortunate enough to have two.
- Offers premium wine packages for purchase at prices comparable to retail, not restaurant mark ups.
Silversea – Features “Wine Series” itineraries hosted by distinguished wine personalities with wine destination specific voyages and excursions to locations such as Bordeaux, Italy, Australia and South America. All inclusive fares with complimentary unlimited beverages, including fine wines, champagne and spirits, with ultra premium wines available for purchase.
Disney – “Stem to Stern Wine Tasting” features 5 wines and one sparkling wine or Champagne. Also has wine packages for purchase and offers wine themed excursions.
Windstar – Features wine themed sailings and excursions.
AMA Waterways – Offers complementary free-flowing, hand-selected European wines with dinner. Also features tours, many wine themed, complementary with your cruise. Customized “In Celebration of Wine” cruises features unique shore excursions and other complimentary programs designed to highlight the cultural richness of Europe’s great waterways. “In Celebration of Wine” itineraries will include complimentary onboard lectures, wine tastings and excursions to historic vineyards and cellars. Each of these distinctive wine-themed activities is complimentary and open to all passengers.Viking River Cruises – Features complementary wine with lunch and dinner, and offers wine themed cruises and excursions.
Avalon Waterways – Features complementary, specially selected wines with lunch and dinner, wine themed excursions, and wine themed itineraries which include Paris, Burgundy and Provence, The Danube, and Cote d’Azur (Seine River and Normandy).
Viking River Cruises – Features complementary wine with lunch and dinner, and offers wine themed cruises and excursions.