Miami – (April 30, 2008 ) – When travelers sail the Caribbean on an Azamara Cruises ship, they enjoy indulgent onboard experiences, spectacular blue waters and an exotic array of islands, islets, reefs and cays. Azamara aims to offer all that and more with its lineup of itineraries in the region in late 2009 and early 2010, which opened for sale today.
Azamara Journey, the 694-guest ship that underwent a $19-million makeover before its 2007 launch, will sail through the Caribbean and Panama Canal from December 2009 through mid-April 2010, visiting 23 ports in 15 countries. The season’s highlights include:
- First-time calls at Castries, St. Lucia; Willemstad, Curacao; and San Diego, California. Azamara Journey also will anchor off of the 7-mile island of Bequia, The Grenadines, a favorite port of call for yachts and small cruise ships because of its unspoiled, quaint atmosphere and attractions such as Princess Margaret Beach, the unique cliffside dwellings at Moonhole, and Oldhegg Turtle Sanctuary.
- San Diego instead of Los Angeles as the turnaround port for two 16-night Panama Canal sailings, one westbound from Miami departing on December 18, 2009, and one eastbound to Miami departing on January 3, 2010. Between the two Panama Canal sailings, Azamara Journey will call at Port Antonio, Jamaica; Cartagena, Colombia; Puntarenas, Costa Rica; San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua; Willemstad, Curacao; and Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas and Huatulco, Mexico.
- A new 10-night Easter voyage sailing roundtrip out of Miami on April 1, 2010, calling at St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands; Marigot, St. Martin; Roseau, Dominica; Basseterre, St. Kitts, and Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands.
- A rotation of three different 12-night Caribbean itineraries out of Miami from January through March 2010, each featuring a balance between exotic beach-intensive, shopping-intensive and nature-intensive ports. These include Bequia; Castries; Roseau, Dominica; St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands; Falmouth, Antigua; Fort de France, Martinique; Gustavia, St. Barts; Pointe-ÃƒÂ -Pitre, Guadeloupe; and others.
In each port of call in its Caribbean/Panama Canal lineup, Azamara will offer travelers a range of immersive shore excursions, many of which are “off the beaten path.” Examples include:
- “Jewels of the Monteverde Cloud Forest” in Puntarenas, Costa Rica, during which guests can gaze upon the Monteverde Cloud Forest from the suspended bridges that cross the treetop canopy.
- “Baths and Spring Bay Exploration” in Virgin Gorda, BVI, which includes a visit to the unusual geologic formation known as The Baths as well as the opportunity to swim, snorkel, hike or relax.
- “Best of Dominica” in Roseau, Dominica, which transports travelers to Morne Trois Pitons National Park, where they can explore stunning botanical gardens and hike to the tropical-plant-and-waterfall grotto known as the Emerald Pool.
- “Mexican Cooking Experience” in Huatulco, Mexico, where guests learn to prepare Mexican classic dishes such as tortillas, enchiladas, stuffed chilies or Oaxaca chicken stew, before dining on their culinary creation.
- “Historical Plantation Ruins of St. John” in the U.S. Virgin Islands, a historical and cultural island tour of St. John led by a local expert in the countryÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s history.
Azamara Cruises encourages travelers to visit their website for more information. Azamara Cruises unlocks the hidden corners of the world for those who desire to immerse themselves in the rich details of every voyage. The deluxe ships Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest Ã¢â‚¬â€œ offer an intimate experience, while allowing access to exotic destinations experienced travelers long to reach. For the 694 guests on each Azamara Cruises ship, every moment at sea embodies the pinnacle of luxury, and each footstep on shore accentuates the difference between visiting a place and getting a true sense of place. This year, Azamara Cruises presents the best of enchanting Europe, elite Asia, and the most captivating Caribbean and the Panama Canal. The line also offers unique cruisetours in Europe. For more information, travel agents are encouraged to call 1-877-222-2526. Guests are invited to call 1-877-999-9553. Or, visit Azamara Cruises website.